What sells and what doesn't

Questions and discussions about bondage in its many forms.
Forum rules
No attacking other users; no advertising products. Be kind. Don't make me beat you.

Because of spammers getting in, all new users have to be approved by admin before their account will be activated. To request activation, please contact Dave at davidnorth@bound2burst.com and provide your board username. Thanks.
davidnorth
Site Admin

What sells and what doesn't

Post by davidnorth »

I've just assessed sales since the start of this year, focusing in particular on sales of Jasmine's movies released in 2024. It's interesting to see which themes do very well and which do not. Obviously, this is an important factor in deciding what to film, and particularly, which customs to accept or decline in future.

Trapped With A Stalker has done well, both here and on Clips4Sale. A close runner up is The Twins Conundrum. However, when it comes to Staged Ransom, sales were depressed on both platforms, selling less than half the number of copies. This theme has been explored a few times now, never with any real success, so I won't be producing any more of these, custom or otherwise.

On an amusing note, if I include December 2023, Texas Ranger sells about the same as Stalker and Twins here, but has even higher than average sales on C4S. I assume this is because she is dressed exactly how you would expect a Texas Ranger to look. It must be that.

I find that sales on both platforms don't always align, which is to be expected of course. Sometimes, however, the difference is significant and less easily quantified. For example, Rachel's Adams' "Car Thief" did quite well on C4S, but quite abysmally in the BiB Store. One tends to think that most videos where Rachel appears would be popular everywhere, but not so. Despite enthusiasm on this forum, her sales are less than stellar. Part of the differences are due to audience size, with C4S reaching far more people than my humble setup.

One of the interesting things to emerge from analyses, is how well most remastered videos sell, often matching on exceeding recent new publications in numbers. This suggests to me that perhaps I should focus more effort on recovering and republishing older videos at much higher quality than the originals, instead of investing too much in filming new content. Unless new content is filmed with just a select number of popular models, I can easily lose money on it.

adivie

Re: What sells and what doesn't

Post by adivie »

Rachel Adams sells through other producers on C4S, so anybody looking for her will, most likely, go there first. That is probably why she does so well on your C4S store than the BiB store.

Your remastered videos receive a lot of attention on social media. It would not hurt to focus some energy there, also. Some of the long-gone models are still popular, such as Lily Anna.

If you do decide to start narrowing down your customs, you will let us know, beforehand, what is in and what is out, I hope!

davidnorth
Site Admin

Post by davidnorth »

What's out for customs is where the client (a) wants exactly the same thing as his last custom, and (b) the content is too off the wall for most buyers. The stranger the request, the more it stands out as being the same as last time.

I'm afraid my days on social media, such as they were, are behind me. I don't mind promoting on FetLife, but I have no desire to appear on X, Facebook, Instagram, etc. For one thing, they would probably kick me off for some of the content I film. I also think most people who spend their time on social media are not those who actually buy anything. That was my experience from my Twitter days.

Lily does still sell, especially when remastered, so there will be more. Others too.

Dazroped

Post by Dazroped »

I'm all for going back and remastering a lot of those early video's making them look as best as they can. But at the end of the day it's a product we have all really seen would it really enhance sales that much. Sorry to be really frank guys it's just my honest opinion on the subject. I agree though videos will sell simply by the way models are dressed at times Jasmine's Texas Ranger was a no brainer while say Mura's First Day On The Job video just didn't cut it for me.

adivie

Post by adivie »

We still need both, enhanced previous videos and new content. It is always a juggling act to determine which is going to get more attention!

GB2691

Post by GB2691 »

It's always interesting to read stuff like this - thanks, Dave.

My observations:
Jasmine - some of us will always be interested to see what Ms St James is up to, so she's always likely to sell. As she has made so many videos, there's going to be the chance of repeated themes and plotlines, but Jasmine's skills as an actress and skilful plotting ( ;) ) help to mask this. From a producer's point of view, I imagine it's desirable to do something different each time, and if similar stories produce diminishing returns, it's not a surprise that there's no enthusiasm for retreading old ground.

Outfits - I've never been to Texas, but I'm sure that is standard issue for Rangers, and I have no desire to be corrected, thank you. As someone who may veer quite close to 'dressing the models like hookers' on occasion, I can only apologise. But I'm not going to... :D

Rachel - it may be that Ms Adams' ubiquity means her fans are spoilt for choice. If you want to buy her clips, go to C4S and you'll find a lot of choice... Although insiders know that some of her best stuff can be found here (and cheaper), maybe some are unaware or can't be bothered to look...

Re-releases - Those of us steeped in Beauties-in-Bondage for years will be well aware of most of the diamonds to be found in the back catalogue, and if polishing, re-mastering and re-releasing some of these leads to others discovering them and more sales, I'm all for it. Personally, I would always take new material over re-releases, however shiny, but the market (and the boss) will decide.

Customs - I think I've been rumbled! I hope that my producer, script editor and cast can drag some originality out of me this year!

Dazroped

Post by Dazroped »

Totally agree with all your comments here off course classic back catalogue videos of past models work will always look interesting cleaned up to meet the latest requitements. Like many here i suspect i eagerly await the release of any new Jasmine video as there is a winning formula going on here. The chemistry between Jasmine and Rick is perfection you know what to expect once these two get together. The Miss James videos we know and love today simply play out like mini movies themselves there is real acting going on here. The plus point success of the videos is down to the many characters Jasmine herself as managed to create not sure if most of these have all arrived from customs not actually commissioned one myself but it all works into the weaving of a story and that all important bondage element. I am sure Dave will have seen the change and direction himself the current Jasmine videos have taken from those humble early video days when it was just himself and his young pupil if you know what i mean. Jasmine's surprise hit last December Texas Ranger hit all the right notes we all have our own thoughts and theories why this one still rides high in her current video catalogue. I believe we probably won't see Jaz and Rick next again until early June personally i can't wait. :D

adivie

Post by adivie »

We all know you will stick with what sells. I push your site as much as I can to get buyers to come here. I guess it is more of a matter of "how can we help keep your doors open"!

davidnorth
Site Admin

Post by davidnorth »

It's not in danger of disappearing at the moment. As long as the revenue generated exceeds expenses by a fair margin, I'll keep it going. That said, some slow down is inevitable because I am not working as much as before. I'll have to see where a balance point is reached.

adivie

Post by adivie »

You cannot find any munchkins or Oompa Loompas to help you? Are you just bogged down with work or just taking it easy with the missus and a beer?